*Who are your own awardees? Nominations released.
*Star prize outstanding till January ending, vote
Exactly six years ago, we did The Nigerian Hall of Shame Awards. It became so controversial and there was so much hoopla! We bring the awards back this year. The 20 categories were carefully analysed and we present our nominations. Readers, you can disagree or make your choice. Voting starts. Winners will be announced on 1st February 2018. From next year, we shall return the list of winners to 1st January.
- Most wasteful governor of the Year: No other governor qualifies for this award than probably the Imo State governor, Rochas Okorocha. If there is any other governor please let us know. He won this award for wasting so much on buying network airtime on television even when his hen is having birthday and building statutes while he could not pay the civil servants in his state!
Most useless Sports Federation of the Year: No other sports federation of the 42 sports federations could have edged out the Weightlifting Federation of Nigeria! They wasted all the efforts of their athletes by missing the two qualifiers of the Commonwealth Games putting 27 gold medals that the nation can and will win a chunk into fire!
- Most controversial governor of the Year: Oyo State governor, Abiola Ajimobi, seems faster and better for this award. He stoked and keeps stoking a division in the Olubadan institution, dredging a long drawn battle with the Olubadan. His self-created conflict is tearing west Africa’s largest community apart. Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose, should have been chosen for his acrid and violent Buhari-phobia. Kogi governor, Yahaya Bello, is rated higher by a consortia. Where do you stand?
- Most wasteful institution of the Year: Babatunde Raji Fashola’s ministry is high on the ranking. They got very fat budget yet no roads, no light, no houses anywhere. Which other institution would have dislodged this ministry?
- Lying Minister of the Year: Which of the Ministers would have qualified for this award? Finance Minister, Kemi Adeosun, for telling us that recession will be over and the thing no go. E stay with us kampe! Or Information Minister, Lai Mohammed, who many Nigerians will not believe if he says his name is Lai Mohammed.
- Most disappointing minister of the Year: Between Rotimi Amechi, Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN), Dr Kayode Fayemi should win this award. Sports Minister, Solomon Dalung, won’t even qualify here because Nigerians probably had no great expectations from him. Of these lot, which one disappointed you the most?
- Most controversial lawmaker of the Year: Senator Dino Melaye should win this but we also have Senator Ali Ndume (who was suspended, went to court, won, returned and is still angry). Isa Misau should have been the second contestant for the award but can he dislodge the House of Representatives’ Hon (Dr) Abdulmumin Jubrin, the budget padding specialist?
- Most troublesome lawmaker of the Year: We think this should go to Senator Dino Melaye. Abi? Who else can contest this with him in the National Assembly? Hon Femi Gbajabiamila who demanded why he lost a post almost three years after at the 50th birthday of Speaker Yakubu Dogara.
- Most inhuman politician of the Year: NIMASA Director General, Dr. Dakuku Peterside. He is reputed to have travelled to 50 countries in 18 months of his appointment. Wetin him dey find sef? Investors? Or would PTAD’s Sharon Ikeazor who promised to pay pensioners before Christmas but failed and travelled abroad to have a Merry Christmas?
- Most useless Nigerian bank of the Year: United Bank of Africa (UBA) or Guaranty Trust Bank in the Innoson Motors scandal. These two banks stand out clearly. Why mention Zenith Bank because of their high negative reports in the media? Chai! GTB stands tallest, gave out loan to a customer, got 22%, was caught cheating and wanted to pay back the stolen sum at 7%. Who be thief?
- Most outstanding telecommunication provider with worst service: Some say they are all guilty. One was renamed: Most Terrible Network. Uhm! Glo? Leave them o. Etisalat do so tey escape and the company turned to 9-Mobile (their mobility is zero, dem dey claim nine. Nine ko, 10 ni). Airtel are so bad you can tell from the air.
- Most sycophantic appointee of the Year: Three people qualify for this award. Alhaji Lai Mohammed, Shehu Garba or Femi Adeshina. We are confused who should have taken up the award and go home happy. Or, Osita Okechukwu, the Director General of Voice of Nigeria (VON) for attacking south easterners on the Biafra issue.
- Most power drunken appointee of the Year: EFCC Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu seems the best candidate here. He and the entire Senate don’t see eye-to-eye. He is reputed to have secured more conviction in the media than in the court. All his named sins are not enough to earn him a verbal lest written query. His somersault in the PRTT and Mainagate scandal and of the 222 houses, shooting to death of a Sergeant in his farm stands him tall for this award; Prof Itse Sagay, some say, is the most power drunken. True?
- Most ridiculous appointee of the Year: Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Mrs Winifred Oyo-Ita seems the highest bidder for “warning” her employer and boss, President Muhammadu Buhari, not to re-absorb Abdulrasheed Maina back to the service. Who else should have contested this award with her? She even had to fight in the FEC to show her anger against Buhari. Went to the House of Representatives to assert herself until we were told she was DFA when some pension monies were leaving the Head of Service some years back.
Boss Mustapha, the Secretary of the Government of the Federation (SGF) was voted for giving appointment to eight dead people to serve on Boards of MDAs. Who gets this great award?
- Most annoying Nigerian of the Year: Hon Ngozika Ihuoma for calling the House of Representatives committee on Mainagate to order. He annoyed all the pension thieves and the divided government officials who came before the panel.
- Public institution with the best goof of the year: None should have contested with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for not knowing her player earned two yellow cards. Why no other public institution should have contested the award with them? An intern got $40,000 free. The money is yet to be recovered.
- Which is the best of the FG goofs of the year? The appointment of eight dead persons to boards, or the mismanagement of the Mainagate or the rodents that took over the office of President Buhari when he was sick.
- Best scandal of the year: We have the grass cutting scandal, the Ikoyigate, Mainagate, Patience Jonathan’s 16 bank accounts, Kogi Governor’s double registration or Dino Melaye’s certificate scandal. There is also the judgesgate scandal. Which of these is the biggest and best?
- Which political party is the worst? Ruling APC that failed to hold her National Convention in three years or PDP that got balkanised and recovered after a hot but steamy legal tango or the silent but unknown parties to which 21 new ones joined?
- Star Award: Who is the star winner from the above awards? Who are your nominees should I get sponsors oh? Who do you think will go home with the star award? You can change any of the nominees we have named above o!