*Police parade them in Lokoja
Police on Wednesday in Lokoja paraded 30 inter-state armed robbery and kidnap suspects terrorising Kogi and the neighbouring states.
Parading the suspects, the Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood (CSP) said those arrested included some who allegedly kidnapped and killed an expatriate engineer with Dangote Cement Company.
Moshood said at the Kogi Police Command headquarters that the arrests were in response to the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris’ directive to rid the nation of crime.
“The IGP directed the Commissioner of Police in the state, Ali Said Hangs, to quickly address armed robbery, kidnapping, social miscreants, cattle rustling, cultism on Auchi-Okene-Lokoja, Lokoja-Ajaokuta-Anyigba, Kabba-Oshokoshoko-Obajana highways.
“Effort of the commissioner and his team through vigour, dedication, utmost professionalism and passion for the job, led to the arrest of the 30 suspected criminals and recovery of several weapons, he said.
He said four of the suspects were alleged to have on 23rd October, kidnapped an expatriate, Mr Jose Machada, a construction engineer with Dangote Cement Company, Obajana.
Moshood said that the suspects killed the expatriate when the ransom they demanded was not forthcoming.
“Police operatives attached to Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Kogi State Command, in synergy with the DSS promptly swung into action and arrested the four suspects,”he said.
He said one of the suspects killed a senior staff of Dangote Group of Companies, Istifanus Bello, for allegedly trying to shortchange his kidnap gang.
The company worker was said to have been killed for paying them N5 million instead of N7 million ransom for the release of another staff earlier abducted by the suspect and his gang.
The police image maker said two other suspects were arrested on Kano road, Idah, for terrorising the residents through cultism while another was arrested in Okene for kidnapping and cattle rustling.
He noted that during interrogation the suspects confessed to participating in the killing one Haruna Baso, a resident of Achoze, and carting away the cattle of the deceased.
Moshood listed items recovered from them to include, 11 AK-47 rifles, two Beretta pistols, two Revolver pistols, 334 rounds of AK-47 live ammunition, a dagger, a cutlass and military camouflage uniforms.
The suspects mentioned below were apprehended in their various hideouts in the forest and other locations along the Abuja-Lokoja-kabba highways.
The suspects arrested confessed to their various criminal roles in the commission of the crimes and admitted to have carried out several kidnappings/armed robberies attacks on innocent travellers on the Kogi-Kabaja roads including some high profile kidnap for ransom in Edo, Delta, Oyo and Ogun States.
Investigation is ongoing to arrest other members of the gangs at large. The suspects will be arraigned in Court for prosecution on completion of investigation.
1st Gang – Kidnap for Ransom/Armed Robbery Gang
1) Yahaya Bello a.k.a Halti
2) Bello Tukur a.k.a Gwojor 27yrs – Gang Leader that led the Gang that kidnapped and killed the Portuguese Expatriate
3) AMINU Adamu a.k.a Kashi 35yrs,
4) Abubakar Bello a.k.a Babangida 23yrs,
5) Bello HASSAN a.k.a Nasara 35yrs
6) Umar Isiaka a.k.a Baddi aged 25years
7) Abdulkadir Abubakar a.k.a Nagari aged 32years
8) Sanusi Saleh aged 22years
9) Abubakar Hassan a.k.a Kadel aged 34years
10) Shede Zekeri aged 25yrs
2nd Gang – Cattle Rustling Syndicate
11) Adamu Garba aged 23yrs
12) Adamu Bello ‘M’ confessed to have participated in the killing of one Haruna Baso of Achoze carted his cattle
13) GOMA HAMZA ‘M’ AGED 26YRS
14) ISAH USMAN ABARBA ‘M’ AGED 20YRS
15) Abdulkareem Idi aged 30yrs
3rd Gang – Kidnap for Ransom/Armed Robbery Syndicate
16) Abdulwahab Idi aged 22yrs
17) Umoru adamu aged 21yrs
18) DANIEL MUSA ‘M’ AGED 24YRS
19) JUNIOR ADAMS ‘M’ AGED 23YRS
20) SANUSI SUFYANU ‘M’ AGED 26YRS
4th Gang – Kidnap for Ransom/Armed Robbery Syndicate
21) USMAN MUSA ‘M’ AGED 30YRS
22) LUKMAN ABDULSALAM ‘M’ AGED 34YRS
23) MUSA YAHAYA BELLO ‘M’ AGED 35YRS
24) ISMALLA MOMOH ‘M’ AGED 34YRS
25) OCHEFIJE ALHAJI ‘M’ 23YRS
5th Gang – Armed Robbery Syndicate
26) ABUH ALI ‘M’ 25YRS
27) Obinna Okpai aged 29yrs
28) Lawrence uchegbu aged 45yrs
29) Chinwale Chima age 34yrs
30) Chinedu Obi a.k.a Obison
- Eleven (11) AK47 Riffles
- Two (2) Beretta English Pistol
- Two (2) Revolver Pistol
- Three Hundred and Thirty Four (334) 7.56mm AK47 Ammunitions
- Six (6) Rounds 9mm Beretta Ammunitions
- one (1) cut to size locally made Revolver Gun
- Two (2) Locally made Pistol
- Fifty Four (54) rustled cattle
- Pairs of suspected fake military uniform
The force public relations officer said the suspects would soon be prosecuted and called on parents to monitor their wards.
He also appealed to the public to assist security agents with useful information to track down criminals.