Home / Business / Food, drinks at state banquets must be Nigerian – Osinbajo

Food, drinks at state banquets must be Nigerian – Osinbajo

*Laws put in place to support policy direction

*Customs new tariff regime to injure importation

Acting president, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, says the present administration is committed to ensuring that government and its citizens patronise locally made products which must be Nigerian. He states that preference must be given to indigenous providers of goods and services to strengthen the system.

The acting president instructed that hence, Nigerians must eat and drink Nigerian products at state banquets.

Osinbajo said the present administration was committed to ensuring that government and its citizens patronise locally made products. He made the statement at an interactive session he had with top government officials on the ease of doing business at the old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He said the government would work out incentives for performance by building reward system that punishes malfeasance and that preference must be given to indigenous providers of goods and services to strengthen the economic and social system.

His words: “I agree that a system of rewarding performance and punishing malfeasance is key. We must work out incentive schemes even as we tighten up sanctions regimes. We hit 70% quickly on the 60 days of ease or doing business target because of the cooperation of all the agencies like ministry of interior, immigrations, customs etc and that is why the remaining 30percent we will also achieve and deliver. I will hold myself accountable to it and I will also hold you accountable.

“Usually, we blame the system. But the system is men and women not machines. So we can and must reform it. These proposed executive orders present a unique opportunity to perform. Ladies and gentlemen let us perform. “The President has laid out a cornerstone policy of this administration. We must grow what we eat and make what we use. The President again enunciated this principle in the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan…Buy Nigerian, Use Nigerian.

“So we must now insist that at state banquets we eat and drink Nigerian.” www.gongnews.net had reported earlier that Prof Osinbajo signed three executive orders that will significantly change some of the ways government business and operations are conducted in the country forthwith.

Specifically, Prof. Osinbajo signed three executive orders giving specific instructions on a number of policy issues affecting: “The promotion of transparency and efficiency in the business environment designed to facilitate the ease of doing business in the country.

“Timely submission of annual budgetary estimates by all statutory and non-statutory agencies, including companies owned by the Federal Government,” and

“Support for local contents in public procurement by the Federal Government.”

Informed sources told this newspaper that the Nigeria Customs Service is expected to soon come up with a high tariff regime on any such goods and services that can be produced locally on its foreign importation.

The tariff has been ordered must be so prohibitive on goods like foods, drinks, textiles (unfinished and processed), pharmaceuticals, shoes, bags, spare parts etc There 834 products on the new list for such prohibitions.

About GongNews

Nigeria’s most authoritative online newspaper with a deep reach for the Defence of the truth at all times.

Check Also

Osita Chidoka

Anambra: Chidoka concedes victory to Obiano

*Election was influenced by the use of money Candidate of the United Progressive Party (UPP), …