*Several breaches of the Constitution has been committed
Executive Secretary of Legislative Watch, a civil society organisation (CSO), Hon. Ngozika Ihuoma, has called for the commencement of impeachment against the Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, over the NNPC-gate scandal.
In a statement he issued, signed and made available to www.gongnews.net the former House of Representatives member had written the Senate making his demands. The letter which is addressed to the chairman, Senate Ad-hoc Committee on NNPC CONTRACT SCAM, and titled: “alleged $25bn (#9 trillion) NNPC contract scam – the need to impeach the vp/acting president Prof. Yemi Osinbajo for breach of provisions of 1999 constitution (as amended)”
Ihuoma noted that, “Our organisation is a non-State actor with specialty in obedience to provisions of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) and enforcement of judgements of the Supreme Court.
“We have noted with shock the revelations made by the Hon. Minister of State for Petroleum Resources Dr. Ibe Kachikwu bordering on contract award totaling over $25BN (N9 Trillion) by the GMD of NNPC, Dr. Maikanti Baru under the watch and authority of the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo and substantive Minister of Petroleum without due process.
We have observed that in awarding the $25BN (N9 Trillion) contract by the GMD of NNPC, several provisions of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) had been breached under the powers of Acting President Osinbajo:-
- Appropriation Acts- 2015, 2016 & 2017;
- NNPC Establishment Act;
- Violation of Treasury Single Account Policy 2015;
- Extra Budgetary expenses/anticipatory approvals;
- Non-submission of budget to NASS for approval;
- Disregard of the institution of NASS by insisting on DCP Ibrahim Maguremaining perpetually as Acting EFCC Chairman against Senate Resolution.
Ihuoma continued, “we are worried that the cardinal policy thrust of the APC Government which is fight against corruption under the change mantra is under threat; We are concerned that under the TSA policy of September 2015, the NNPC have not obeyed the Policy thereby keeping substantial resources meant for the Federation Account outside the TSA and creating leakages.
“We have further observed that the N9trillion extra-budgetary expenditure of NNPC is over and above the N7.4trillion approved 2017 Appropriation Act. We have equally noted that most MDAs operating under the illegal Fiscal Responsibility Act 2007 outside abandoning their 2016 Budget at NASS have refused to submit 2017 Budget as at July ending when the NASS went on annual vacation.
Ihuoa then asked for some reliefs/prayers which include:
- That the NASS do commence immediately the impeachment proceedings on the VP/ Acting President as the head of Economic Management Team of the Buhari administration for offences of breach of the 1999 Constitution (as Amended);
- The prosecution of the GMD of NNPC for Financial Crime including non-compliance with the TSA policy of the Federal Government;
- The investigation of leakages into the TSA by MDAs and bringing the affected officials to book;
- The investigation of existence of “Idle Funds in the TSA at CBN” as contained in the communiqué of two-day retreat of Accountant-General of the Federation on TSA implementation;
- The investigation of increase in personal cost of MDAs which has made it impossible to reduce cost of governance not minding the removal of over 45,000 workers from the Federal pay roll.
Editor’s note: This report was written minutes before the Vice President gave the clarifications on his role in the approvals he granted on the emerging NNPC-Gate.