*Holds Amadasun’s suspension for complicity
Lagos chapter of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) has passed a vote of no confidence on the leadership of Mr. Honour Sirawo, the chairman of the national body for his indiscretion in bungling the nomination of Mr. Mitchel Obi for re-election for the position of President of AIPS, Africa while for national chairman, Olu Amadasun had his suspension held until investigation is concluded.
The communiqué of the Emergency Congress of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria, Lagos State Chapter is herewith reproduced unedited.
The Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN), Lagos State Chapter held an emergency congress on February 17, 2017, at the Lagos SWAN Secretariat, National Stadium, Lagos.
The well attended congress resolved as follows:
- The Lagos Chapter of the association passed a vote of no confidence on the leadership of Mr. Honour Sirawo, as chairman of the national body of the association for his indiscretion in bungling the nomination of Mr. Mitchel Obi for re-election for the position of President of AIPS, Africa.
- Lagos SWAN affirmed that it is convinced beyond all reasonable doubts, based on all available records, that Mr. Mitchel Obi is a duly qualified journalist and up to date member of SWAN and condemns all contrary insinuations on the membership status of Mr. Obi by Mr. Honour as dishonourable, mischievous and irresponsible.
Lagos SWAN condemned the arbitrariness of Mr. Honour Sirawoo’s decision to make Nigeria lose the presidency of AIPS Africa without consideration for national interest.
- Lagos SWAN condemned the dictatorial style of leadership by which Mr. Sirawoo took all the decisions without consultation with and usurping the authority of the National Executive Committee.
- Lagos SWAN condemns the move by Mr. Sirawoo, acting alone, to disparage and disrepute the body of Nigerian Sports journalists and embarrassing the public by writing to the AIPS that Nigeria has no candidate for the AIPS election and further personally calling the President of the AIPS to declare that the highly recognized Mr. Mitchel Obi is not a qualified journalist.
- Lagos SWAN condemned the bad governance of Mr. Sirawoo in disrespecting and disregarding all appeals by its parent body, the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), the leadership of the body at various levels and too sports personalities to rethink his wrong and false position.
- Lagos SWAN resolved that it is no longer confident and can no longer submit itself to the arbitrary and dictatorial authority of the national chairman of SWAN.
- Lagos SWAN called on the National Executive Committee to immediately convene a meeting of its organ and of the Full Council Meeting or/and National Congress to correct the mis-governance of SWAN
- Lagos SWAN put on hold a motion to suspend a former national chairman of SWAN, Mr. Olu Amadasun, indefinitely as Lagos SWAN member, pending the conclusion of investigations by the SWAN Lagos executives on the accusation that Mr. Amadasun influenced the decision of Honour Sirawo to decline signing the nomination of Mr. Mitchell Obi and his statement on Social Media to vacate the office of the AIPS Africa President.
- The Congress was also briefed on the present state of the Lagos SWAN Estate in Ogun State by the Project Coordinator, Tobi Emmanuel. The chairman, Lagos, encouraged members to key into the project.
Fred Edoreh Emma Njoku Dapo Sotumininu
Chairman, Lagos SWAN Chairman Lagos SWAN Secretary Communique Drafting Committee
You might also like
More from Sports
*Bringing Odizor, Onyali to Akure is mark of excellence By Oluwole Francis Member of the House of Representatives from Ondo State, Hon …
*Plan to host D'Tigress after the tournament D’Tigress camp received an August visitor last weekend when Nigerian music sensation, Tiwa Savage, …