*Approve the candidature of Mr Mitchell Obi
As part of concrete efforts to arrest the infiltration of people who either hae no media organisations where they work as sports journalists and yet hold positions of authority in SWAN, a need for the review of the Rules and Regulations of the Statute has been recommended.
The FCT chapter of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) met as a well attended Congress where the matters arising in the body politic of the organization was critically reviewed. The meeting which took place at the Old Parade Ground reached decisions contained in a communiqué reproduced below, unedited:
The FCT SWAN Congress resolved at its meeting held on Friday February 24, 2017 held at the Old Parade Ground, Abuja
- The congress belief the move by the SWAN National Executive to reposition the body was appreciable and urged for more consultations before taking decisions on major issues.
- The congress raised concerns over the failure of the National SWAN to recommend Mr Mitchell Obi to AIPS to enable him to re-contest the forthcoming AIPS election which has drawn controversy into affairs of the association.
- After thorough deliberations on the matter, the congress is of the opinion that the matter can still be resolved amicably.
- The congress advised the National body to as a matter of importance in its next NEC meeting approve the candidature of Mr Mitchell Obi for the vacant position in AIPS.
- The congress believes that the national SWAN NEC should invite Mr Obi to the meeting to clear some of the allegations against him as well as impress it on him that his stewardship should now be geared toward how Nigeria would benefit from his office. As it is believed that discretion should always be better part of valour in settling the rift.
- That the rules and regulations of SWAN should be strengthened to correct most of the anomalies in the association through its review.
- The congress appealed to veterans and senior members of the association not to fold their arms and let things go wrong before intervening in the matter.
- The National President should desist from taking unilateral decisions and henceforth work with the elected EXCO members
The communiqué was drafted by a three-member committee of persons who work as journalists like Mike Oboh (Reuters) who served as the Chairman, Segun Ogunjumi of The Nation and Dorcas Jonah of NAN who acted as the Secretary.