*Controversial constitution to allow third term passed
Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) has disclosed to the nation that the federation’s Marketing, Sponsorship and Strategy Advisor has unveiled a new sponsorship deal worth $12 million (N60biillion) for five years (2017-2021) for NBBF events including the Men’s Premier Basketball League. A public signing and unveiling of the new deal was expected ahead of the new season in late March.
This was contained in the communiqué of its annual general meeting which may have gone ahead to approve the warped Constitution that paved way for its President, Tijanni Umar, to run on the third term in office, is reproduced below verbatim.
- The Annual General Meeting (AGM) was attended by delegates from the 31 states of the federation and the FCT as well as the Executive Board members of the federation. Dignitaries who witnessed the opening ceremony included among others; the Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Sports, Hon. Goni Bukar Lawal, President, Nigeria Olympic Committee, NOC and member of the International Olympic Committee, Engineer Habu Ahmed Gumel, former Sports Minister and immediate past President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee, Engineer Sani M. Ndanusa, Executive Chairman, Kano State Sports Commission, Alhaji Ibrahim Galadima, Executive Chairman, Gombe State Sports Commission and former Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Sports, Hon. Bello Sulaiman, as well as the representative of the Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports and Director, Federations and Elite Athletes Department, Mrs. Hauwa Kulu-Akinyemi, who declared the event open on behalf of the Honourable Minister.
Goodwill messages were delivered by the Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Sports, Hon. Goni Bukar Lawal, President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee and IOC Executive Committee Member, Engineer Habu Gumel and Louis Odom, General Manager, Zenith Bank, the sponsor of the federation’s National Women’s Basketball League, who confirmed the renewal of the sponsorship of the league for another three years 2017-2019.
3. The business session of the AGM opened with the presentation of the federation’s Audited Accounts for the financial years 2014, 2015 and 2016 by the auditors, Umar Yerima & Co.(Chartered Accountants) followed by the appointment of the federation’s auditors for the 2017 financial year. This was to underscore the federation’s determination to uphold transparency and accountability as its core business values.
4. The federation’s Marketing, Sponsorship and Strategy Advisor unveiled a new sponsorship deal worth $12 million for five years (2017-2021) for NBBF events including the Men’s Premier Basketball League. A public signing and unveiling of the new deal was expected ahead of the new season in late March.
5. A new partnership with a marketing firm, Inspire Marketing International, was also unveiled. The firm highlighted new sponsorship initiatives it was targeting including hotel and airline partnerships to enhance the quality of the national teams experience during international travels and tournaments.
6. The federation’s Work Improvement Consultants, BVS Consulting, also presented a Road Map to upgrade the work processes and improve the capacity of the federation’s staff and other personnel. Highlights from a Strategic Plan to guide the federation’s activities from 2017-2021 were presented.
7. In furtherance of the entrenchment of good governance principles, the AGM considered the draft constitution of the federation which was approved by the Executive Board after being subjected to FIBA due diligence and comments. The draft was adopted following a motion to that effect and in the absence of a counter motion.
8. The AGM also reviewed the federation’s activities for 2016 and commended especially the National Men’s and Women’s teams for consolidating their upward mobility during the Rio Olympic Games and the Women Olympic Qualifying tournament in France, respectively and called on all stakeholders to continue to contribute their quota in moving the game in the country to the next level.
Being a communique issued at the end of the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Nigeria Basketball Federation Held at the NAF Conference Centre & Suites, Abuja, on Monday, January 30, 2017.
Nigeria Basketball Federation
6th February, 2017.
You might also like
More from Sports
*Bringing Odizor, Onyali to Akure is mark of excellence By Oluwole Francis Member of the House of Representatives from Ondo State, Hon …
*Plan to host D'Tigress after the tournament D’Tigress camp received an August visitor last weekend when Nigerian music sensation, Tiwa Savage, …