*We shall arrest all impunities y former board
Newly inaugurated President of the Board of the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF), Musa Kida, on behalf of the Board members, stated these views as communique from their maiden meeting. “I wish to state as follows;
- That our inauguration today by the Honourable Minister of Youth & Sports has legally conferred on us the full authority to administer basketball in the Nigeria and this body will now go full stream.
- This Board has resolved to partner with all Nigerians, as well as other friends of the sport to move the game forward. Our focus will be on building the capacity of the Nigerian players and officials all around the globe with emphasis on development of the youths.
- At this moment, this Board has not received any handover notes and there has been no transfer of responsibility from the former Board. Hence, we are not aware of any liability incurred by the former board and can’t be held liable for any liability incurred as we have not been justifiably brought up to speed.
- Presently, the former Board had been running two major competitions, namely the Zenith Bank Female Basketball League and the Kwese Premier Basketball League which are both on their last legs and about to be completed. To ensure a smooth transition, the Board has resolved to allow the former Board to wind up the Zenith League which is at the final stage. This is also for the sake of the players and their clubs and the benefit of the sponsors who continue to have faith in Nigerian Basketball. I seize this opportunity to congratulate the players and the clubs for their sacrifices as they compete in the leagues despite all odds.
- It is observed that some elements have been carrying out some illegal activities inimical to the growth of the game which is also embarrassing to Nigeria contrary to the wish of the majority of our basketball stakeholders, such that they have even made it a habit to dare the constituted authority. Having been inaugurated today, we will take appropriate steps to forestall any act of sabotage which tends to bring the game into disrepute and put our country in bad light.
- Arrangements have been concluded for the National Women and Men Teams to compete in the Women and Men Afrobasket Championships which will take place in Bamako, Mali, from 18th-28th August and 8th-14th September respectively. Camps will open in Lagos, Nigeria and Orlando, Florida for the Women on Monday 24th July, 2017, while the Men’s Camp will follow shortly after.
- I wish to thank the Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports and the entire Nigerian sports family for reposing confidence in us and we assure all Nigerians that this Board will put the Nigerian basketball players and stakeholders first. It will be “a Board by Nigerians and for Nigerians”
- Please accept my sporting compliments.
Engineer Ahmadu Musa Kida
President, Nigeria Basketball Federation