We shall make AFN ungovernable if anything happens to Gusau Presidency
*Plans to bring Ogba from back door unacceptable
By Olajide Fashikun
Defenders of Nigerian Athletics, a new group that emerged from the blues in reaction to the purported sack of the 13th June elected President of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), Hon Ibrahim Shehu Gusau, have warned that they will make the sport ungovernable if anything happens to the seat.
Speaking in a telephone call to www.gongnews.net the spokesman of the group, Joseph Dan-Tsoho, a lecturer, said, “we are aware of the plans of some people in the Ministry of Sports who brought back Solomon Ogba from behind the scene as a sponsor. We gathered that they want to force the delegates from the north west to dump Gusau at the zonal election and make Ogba to run in the bye-election.”
Incidentally, Olukayode Thomas, a close associate of Ogba had just concluded a telephone conversation where he asserted that, “Ogba is not interested in the AFN or Nigerian athletics again. I am speaking with authority.”
According to Dan Tsoho, “let the protagonist of that sinister move stop that nonsense. Gusau is the second northerner to have gotten there. He won the election squarely. We have sent messages to Charles Ero Yayock to also remove his family and relocate to Edo or Delta state once that Presidency is aborted. He was used by Brown Ebewele who is being funded by Ogba.”
Please tell them to destroy the remnants of Nigerian athletics by touching the free and fair election of 13th June. How did the said Appeals/Petitions committee arrived at the said decision to bring back Ogba? Was Ogba in Nigeria during the 13th June election?
This is against the electoral guideline. Did Ogba send in a petition and paid for the petition to be heard for him or his so-called company to enjoy a decision of the committee?
This is a massive fraud. We may have to proceed to court to stop the illegal and retrogressive decision of the committee. We gathered and believed the rumour that a senior staff of the Ministry railroaded the committee into taking the bulk of the decisions including bringing back a former athlete who has a drug conviction in contravention of the guidelines they have set up by themselves.
www.gongnews.net checks revealed that the first and last northerner to have occupied the position is Lawan Dangaji, who then was a Wing Commander. He retired as a Group Captain and presently lives in Kaduna.
Previous Presidents of AFN
- Mr. D. H. Holley, M. C. 1944 – 45
- Mr. A. Miller 1946 – 48
- Mr. A. C. Hands (CBE) 1949 – 50
- Mr. J. R. Bunting 1951 – 52
- Mr. S. O. Williams 1953 – 54
- Mr. P. H. Cook 1954 – 55
- Mr. J. R. Bunting 1955 – 56
- Pa. S. O. Jolaoso (MBE) 1957 – 60
- Mr. T. A. K. Oki 1960 – 61
- Mr. S. O. Williams 1961 – 62
- Mr. Abraham A. Ordia (MBE) 1962 – 63
- Mr. Peter C. Chigbuo 1963 – 68
- Mr. S. O. Williams (OON) 1969 – 79
- Mr. M.A. Arogundade 1980 – 82
- Mr. Peter C. Chigbuo 1982 – 83
- Dr. George Ogan 1983 – 84
- Wing Comdr. Lawan Dangaji 1985 – 87
- Alhaji Abdulkarim K.O. Amu (OFR) 1987 – 93
- Mr. Smart E. Akraka 1993 – 95
- Alhaji A Abdulkarim K. O. Amu (OFR) 1995 – 97
- Mr. Tony Urhobo 1997 – 98
- Mr. Adeyemi Wilson 1998 – 2001
- Mr. Dan Ngerem 2001 – 2005
- Chief (Mrs.) Violet Odogwu-Nwajei (MON) 2005 – 2009
- Chief Solomon Ogba 2009 – 2017
- Engr Ibrahim Shehu Gusau 2017 -???