SUNDAY SERMON: Discern your divine assignment
*Launching into your destiny and divine assignment
When God created you, he gave you certain gifts and talents to accomplish something he wanted you to do. We call that an assignment. Everything God creates is a solution to something. You are a life jacket to someone drowning. Those who unlock your compassion are those to whom you have been assigned.
You are geographically designed. This means that your nationality, your race, gender and even where you were born were decided by God.
You are geographically assigned. This means there is a place, a city, a location where God wants you.
You are specifically assigned. You are not wired to do just anything but some things well.
Benefits Of Finding Your Place
- Divine Assistance. Forces of destiny are released in your favor when you find your place. You begin to operate in favor when you find your place. Helpers appear when you find your place. Relationships change when you find your place. Angels assist only those who are working to fulfill their divine assignment.
- A man once said, “Once you surrender to your vision, success begins to chase you.” Where you are divinely located is where you will flourish and succeed. Jonah ended up in the belly of a whale while heading away from the place God sent him to. Each instruction from God is linked with your assignment. Your financial provision is waiting for you at the place where God has assigned you.
Your success is in finding your place in God’s order. Many die without stepping into their assignment; without finding their place. You can only touch the world through your assignment.
- You will live like a fowl if you don’t know you are an Eagle. The fulfillment of your divine assignment gives you a place among the stars. Your greatness is tied to your purpose. It is impossible to reach your best if you don’t know and do what you are created for. At best, you will end up a cheap copy of someone else. You can only be superior to others in your area of gifting. Dan 1:17, “As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.” Daniel, Shedrack, Meshach and Abednego were gifted by God in learning and wisdom and that is the place where they were found to be ten times better than their counterparts. (Dan 1:20)
Enemies of Destiny
The fulfillment of your assignment scares the devil the most. Nothing gives him as much pleasure as keeping you distracted. There are three things Satan loves to do to your assignment: (a) substitute it, (b) delay it, or (c) waste it. Most people die unfulfilled. His favorite pastime is to substitute people’s dreams. He will no longer succeed with you.
Here are examples of DESTINY WASTERS:
- Forces that incapacitate e.g. through sickness, etc.
- Forces that impoverish – paralyse effort, induce laziness, cause delay, divert blessings, destroy favour,
- Forces that switch dreams – make you do what you are not cut out for. There is nothing as devastating as travelling on a wrong road. May God change your direction!
- Forces that Sell, buy or steal destiny. Esau sold his birthright to his brother Jacob.
- Forces that corrupt through sex, drugs or other addictions.
- Wrong associations, wrong company – friendship, marriage, etc. There are four people in your life: those who add, those who subtract, those who divide and those who multiply.
- Wrong confessions. Words spoken over you have a bearing on the outcome of your life. Vows, decrees, enchantments and divinations.
- Premature death – forces that terminate life prematurely.
All these result in wasted lives, wasted destinies, and wasted resources.
Launching Into Your Destiny And Divine Assignment
1Kings 1:39, “And Zadok the priest took an horn of oil out of the tabernacle, and anointed Solomon. And they blew the trumpet; and all the people said, God save king Solomon.”
The oil used here was the holy anointing oil, which was laid up in the tabernacle, and which was used for the anointing of both priests and kings.
You have a global assignment and it takes the anointing to launch you into it. It takes a prophet to commission and release you into your divine purpose on earth. Moses laid hands on Joshua, Isaac blessed Jacob; Elijah dropped his mantle on Elisha (2Kings 2:9-15), etc.
David was anointed three times for the manifestation of his divine assignment. Zadok the priest anointed Solomon to become king. Jesus was anointed by the Holy Spirit to step into and fulfill his divine assignment.
But to succeed, you must remove every limitation from your mind. You must change your attitude and mindset.
Let me close with this story told by Robert Schuller. A man was selling balloons on the streets of New York City. He knew how to attract a crowd before he offered his wares for sale. He took a white balloon, filled it up, and let it float up into the sky. Next he filled a red balloon, and released it into the air. Then he added a yellow one. As the red, yellow, and white balloons were floating above his head, the little children gathered around to buy his balloons. A hesitant black boy looked up at the balloons and asked the man, “If you filled a black balloon, would it go up too?” The man looked down and said, “Why, sure! It’s not the color of the balloon—it’s what’s inside that makes it go up!”
What’s inside of you determines the level of success you will achieve in life. Reaching the highest peak possible depends upon your mindset and your attitudes. The content of your mind determines the colour of your life.
What limitations have you placed on yourself due to the way you think or the attitudes you exhibit? Remember: It’s what’s inside that ultimately determines how high you will climb.
In a world athletic championships not long ago, Hussein Bolt, the fasted man on earth right now was disqualified from the 100 meters race because he made a false start in the semi-finals. He missed the gold medal.
Men disqualify you when you make a false start in life but God gives you a fresh start. God is giving you a fresh start today. You will fulfill your destiny in Jesus name! Get ready to climb higher. Get ready to fly very high in Jesus name!