SUNDAY SERMON: Holiness the master key
A tree can only do well in the right environment. A particular breed matched with the right environment will flourish where others don’t. There is a particular breed that flourishes in the harshest of environments. It is called the ‘holy breed’. 1Peter 2:9. “9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an HOLY NATION, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.” This is the righteous breed. Psalm 92:12 “12The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.” Like the palm tree, they are fruitful for a very long time. They grow tall and do well where others fail. The requirement for staying long in the blessing of God is holy living.
They are immune to the attacks of the enemy, Psalm 34:21 “21Evil shall slay the wicked: and they that hate the righteous shall be desolate.” This breed is resistant to drought, envy, household enemy manipulation, satanic attacks, etc. If you want to flourish as a believer, holiness is the master key. This is the breed that is allotted their permanent inheritance Psalm 27:29 “29The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.”
In this Scripture, reference is made to the condition for obtaining the full and overflowing blessing and prosperity of God. It is obedience which is also referred to as ‘keeping the commands of God.’ This is holiness. Holiness is keeping the commands of God. The Bible also says, “If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the fruit of the land.” Holiness is the master key through which you access the blessing of God. It is your access to everything God promised to his children and citizens of the kingdom of God.
Consider the following scriptures: they give us the benefits of righteous or living holy.
- Unlimited anointing. Ministry-wise, holiness produces unlimited anointing. You don’t need to pray for anointing, just live holy.
- Divine reward. Psalm 58:11 “So that a man shall say, Truly there is a reward for the righteous: truly he is a God that judges in the earth.” Proverbs 11:31 “Behold, the righteous shall be recompensed in the earth…”
- Unlimited wealth. Psalms 112:1, 3 “Praise ye the Lord. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in his commandments…Wealth and riches shall be in his house…” Proverbs 28:10
- Growing strength and unlimited health. Job 17:9 “The righteous also shall hold on his way, and he that has clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.” Exodus 15:26.
- Divine promotion. Job 36:7 “He withdraws not his eyes from the righteous: but with kings are they on the throne; yes, he does establish them for ever, and they are exalted.” Holiness qualifies you for unlimited promotion, you become number one (Deuteronomy 28:1)
- Divine Favour. Psalm 5:12 “For you, LORD, will bless the righteous; with favour will you compass him as with a shield. Proverbs 14:9 Fools make a mock at sin: but among the righteous there is favour.”
- Divine attention. God does not listen to everyone who prays. Psalm 34:15 “The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their cry.”
- Unlimited victory (Deuteronomy 28:7; 28:13). Deliverance from all troubles and afflictions. Psalm 34:17 “The righteous cry, and the LORD hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles.” Psalm 34:19 “Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivers him out of them all.”
- Grace to overcome adversity. Psalm 37:39 “But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD: he is their strength in the time of trouble.”
- Punishment of your enemies. Psalm 34:21 “Evil shall slay the wicked: and they that hate the righteous shall be desolate.”
- Generational blessing. Psalm 37:25 “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.” Unlimited blessings. Deuteronomy 21:1. You are overtaken by the blessings of God. Deuteronomy 28:11-13
- Landed property. Psalm 37:29, “The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.”
- Abundant Peace. Psalm 72:7 In his days shall the righteous flourish; and abundance of peace so long as the moon endures. You cannot be at peace in life if you are not at peace with God.
- Enduring greatness. Sustained prosperity and wealth. Psalm 92:12 The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
Proverbs 11:28 He that trusts in his riches shall fall; but the righteous shall flourish as a branch.
- Joy and fulfilment. Psalm 97:11 “Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.” Psalm 118:15 “The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the LORD does valiantly.”
- Unshakable faith and life. Psalm 112:6 “Surely he shall not be moved for ever: the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.”
- Divine Protection from wicked hands. Psalm 125:3 “For the rod of the wicked shall not rest on the lot of the righteous; lest the righteous put forth their hands to iniquity.”
- Sound wisdom. Winning wisdom. Proverbs 2:7 “He lays up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.” Holy living gives access to divine secrets. Proverbs 3:32
- Protection from hunger and deprivation. Proverbs 10:3 “The LORD will not suffer the soul of the righteous to famish: but he casts away the substance of the wicked.”
- Success in all endeavours. Psalm 1:1-3. Fulfilment of dreams. Proverbs 10:24 “The fear of the wicked, it shall come on him: but the desire of the righteous shall be granted.”
- Divine substitution. Proverbs 11:8 “The righteous is delivered out of trouble, and the wicked comes in his stead.” Proverbs 21:18 “The wicked shall be a ransom for the righteous, and the transgressor for the upright.”
- Protection of your offspring. Proverbs 11:21 “Though hand join in hand, the wicked shall not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered.”
- High level thinking. Proverbs 12:5 “The thoughts of the righteous are right: but the counsels of the wicked are deceit.”
- Abundant Treasures. Proverbs 15:6 “In the house of the righteous is much treasure: but in the revenues of the wicked is trouble.”
- Courage and Confidence. Proverbs 28:1 “The wicked flee when no man pursues: but the righteous are bold as a lion.”
- Overall wellbeing. Isaiah 3:10 Say you to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.
- Isaiah 41:2 Who raised up the righteous man from the east, called him to his foot, gave the nations before him, and made him rule over kings? He gave them as the dust to his sword, and as driven stubble to his bow. You cannot be in control of anything unless you are under the control of God.
- Power in prayer. James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
- Unlimited converts Acts 5:12-16.
- Friendship with God.
Embrace holiness; the rewards are simply too numerous and too huge to be traded for anything else in the world.