Broadcast rights: Egyptian prosecutors to probe Hayatou
Confederation of African football late Thursday dismissed media reports that its President, Issa Hayatou, had been referred to Egyptian prosecutors for questioning for abusing his office. CAF labelled the claim as “false”.
The said recommendation is supposed to be made by the Egyptian Competition Authority, which accuses CAF of violating the competition rules in Egypt regarding the procedure for the allocation of commercial rights for certain CAF competitions for the period 2017- 2028.
Reacting to the reports, CAF said, “it should be noted that in the letter sent to CAF by the Egyptian Competition Authority, there is no mention of any prosecution against the president of CAF, whether for acts of corruption or something else.
“CAF recalls that its Executive Committee, after evaluating the different offers submitted, and in strict compliance with the existing contractual clauses, agreed to renew the contract with Lagardère Sports for the 2017-2028 cycle. This was done in June 2015. This contract guarantees African football a substantial increase in revenues and substantial funding for the development of football on the continent”.
CAF explained that the contract with Lagardère Sports did not in any way “contravene national or supra-national legislations, as established by categorical legal opinions in this regard.”
Confederation of African Football President Issa Hayatou was said to have been referred to Egyptian prosecutors for investigation over allegedly abusing his position. At issue is a deal awarding the broadcast rights to several African football tournaments to a media company, Lagardere Sports. According to the Egyptian Competition Authority, Hayatou is suspected of not opening up the tender to free and fair competition as required by Egyptian law.